Our personality makes us unique, but do we really know how does our personality develop? How exactly do we become who we are today? In order to answer this question, many prominent theorists developed theories to describe various steps and stages that occur on the road of personality development. These theories focus on various aspects of personality development, including cognitive, social and moral development. Sounds complicated?
Experts at Map My Career have firm belief that personality can be modified if you wish to bring a change in yourself. Certain courses of action will be suggested to you. If you work diligently on these suggestions, probably it would bring some change
s in your behavior, may be the changes will remain consistent with you and ultimately you will be able to bring modification in your personality traits.
It is essential to improve which in turn helps you capitalize your strengths. Mark these as target areas for further development and ensure your success in the career you take up in future.
Map My Career psychometric assessment has mapped various aspects of your personality and found out the areas where you excel as well as areas where you need to improve upon. Below mentioned are the Personality areas where you need to work upon and bring improvement to ensure success and contentment in your career.
Being Achievement Oriented (Achievement Orientation personality No 2)
Achievement orientation is a drive to accomplish one’s goals and to meet or exceed
a high standard of success. Each one of us wish to be successful in whatever we do or wish to do. But the willingness to keep going even when there are odds and our enthusiasm has waned away leads to success. And the good news? Achievement orientation or persistence is something we can all develop. If one tries to do things better or more efficiently than they have been done in the past by putting continuous effort are known to have traits for achievement orientation. You need to:
- Make both short and long-term objectives and focus on what you want
- Always desire to do things efficiently and achieve success in life.
- Put in hard-work and effort to accomplish tasks.
- Be positive and stick to your planning, no matter what situation or circumstances demands.
- Focus on using positive and empowering words that will move you quickly in the direction of your goals and objectives.
- Take responsibility for your actions, interactions, circumstances and decisions.
- When you achieve your goals you move towards bigger goals and objectives.
- Never give up or quit. If you are not getting success you find a new approach that will eventually lead
- Look for new and better ways to improve your skills and performance to be more productive, to accelerate your speed of learning, to manage your time, and improve your memory.
- Instead of relying on your perspective only, ask others how you are doing, seek advice.
- Have positive expectations from yourself and believe them as well.
Be Adventurous (Adventurous, personality No 17)
This is nothing but your attitude toward taking risks. We generally tend to view risk-taking negatively, often regarding it as dangerous and even unwise. While same risks are certainly harmless, it is important to remember that some are dangerous. But risk-taking not only potentially benefit the career-path you are already thinking on it may actually open up to you a world of new possibilities you have not yet considered.
As a youngster you need to work outside your comfort zone which may be scary. Your ability to achieve your goals is affected by the risk-taking strategies you use in all areas of your life. Whenever you engage in any action where the outcome is uncertain, you are taking a risk. But beyond being personally or professionally beneficial, taking risks may not be a necessary step in actively pursuing success. Here, we are focusing on intelligently taking risk to achieve your goals in life and not about unnecessary risks when you act suddenly without sufficient information or without taking time to think about it thoroughly in advance. To be specific:
- Have great faith in yourself and your abilities. Believe that you can achieve your goals and accomplish wonderful things. Your ability to confidently take calculated risks in the direction of your goals will ultimately help you achieve goals you have set for yourself and lead you towards success.
- Many of the mistakes that we make it happens because we act without thinking—that is, we act without taking time to minimize the risk that was involved. Gather information, analyze and assess before taking a risk.
- First, identify the risk involved, then plan and prepare to maximize your opportunities while minimizing those risks.
- Keep an alternative to what you are doing currently. The more alternatives you have, lesser risks will be involved and higher will be your likelihood to achieve goals and reach success.
- You cannot just throw a bunch of ideas without seeing the whole process and what the end should be or look like. Do your homework and understand the importance of implementation and follow through.
Be Alert, do or make things excellent (Alert, personality No 10)
Alertness is a state of mind but it is governed by your level of confidence, competence and essential motivation. When we feel threatened, we cannot think of what to say immediately it is only later, after we have had the experience of thinking over things (in the absence of threat) then we think of all the things we could have said or done. If you deal with stress in time, your level of alertness would be fine. Any activity of your choice can stimulate your brain activity, in turn you can increase your alertness to perform other tasks. Although the level of alertness is influenced by external conditions, it can be controlled from within following simple strategies as suggested below:
- Challenge yourself to stay focused.
- Manage your stress.
- Engage yourself in a task rather than only think
ingabout being best.
- Compete with your own act of knowing.
- Stimulate your mind by solving crossword puzzles, creative writing, word jumbles, and Sudoku.
Being Analytical (Analytical, personality No 12)
An analytical person needs to know what holds the world together deep down inside. They are generally systematic, well-organized and conscious of what they are doing or saying. They appreciate facts and information presented systematically and get satisfaction from organizing and completing detailed tasks. They value rule-oriented approach to life. This personality is a requirement for many professions in demand. You can practice the following and achieve an analytical outlook to some extent:
- Pay close attention to the smallest details.
- Try to analyse data, graphs, references, and anything else with numbers, facts, and figures.
- Don’t make quick conclusions. It will come more naturally after sometime with experience.
- Practice Text Analysis- Take a textual passage, which can be in the form of a story or an occurrence. Try to explain the logical connection between
theevents of the story and suggest a title. You may add a few content of your own.
- Ask For Evidence- Make sure that you make it a habit to ask for evidence for each and everything you wish to learn and understand. It includes casual conversations such as “Where did you read that?” Try to collect evidence for your claims too.
Be more assertive (Assertiveness, Personality No 21)
Being assertive means tactfully, justly and effectively expressing our preferences, needs, opinions and feelings. Becoming assertive is a powerful way to improve your life and boost your self-esteem, which in turn helps you become self-sufficient. Many of us always wish to be a nice person or not to be a part of any problem, we suffer and sacrifice and also assume that nothing can be done to change the
ir situation. But we forget that whenever we permit a greedy, dominant person to take advantage of us, we are not only cheating ourselves but also reinforcing unfair, self-centered behavior in the aggressive person.
Though assertiveness can easily develop, but is possible only if we get to know our real ideas, real differences and real flaws. Since we are self-aware we admit all of these things. We do not try to become someone else’s mirror. We would not try to suppress uniqueness of others. We need not pretend to be a perfect person. We become ourselves. We allow ourselves to be there. Likewise we practice assertiveness. To do so you need to:
- Respect yourself and respect others.
- Set healthy boundaries and learn to say no.
- Be clear about your needs and feelings.
- When you are confronting especially difficult situations or people calmly and firmly repeat a short, clear statement over and over until the other person gets the message. For example, “I want you to be home on time,” “I don’t want to go for a movie, I want to study”. Repeat the same statement in exactly the same way until the other person “gets off your back”, regardless of the excuses, diversions, or arguments given by the other person.
- Always be willing to compromise with others, rather than always wanting your own way.
- Know your strengths and cooperate more while performing in a group.
Taking Good Decisions (Decisive, Personality No 25)
We all make decisions every day, some easy and some difficult. When we have a tough decision to make, we often put off making the choice as long as possible. You must know good decision-making capabilities do not come naturally to many of us. It needs practice to make good decisions. We know that as soon as we step through one door, the other door will close, and we will never get to know what was behind it. That is a frightening thing which prevents us from making good decision. But there are steps you can take to ameliorate your anxiety as you make a decision.
- Whenever you are faced with a big decision, the first step is to get as much information about it as possible. Just take a piece of paper, make some columns and list the pros and cons of each potential decision. The pro column for one might be much longer than the others. Sit down quietly and try to imagine your life after making each of your possible choices. Think about what you are doing and how you are feeling. Select the scenario that makes you happy just thinking about it.
- You need to visit the decision you had taken in the past. Sometimes we make the same fowl decisions over and over again, avoid it. Most importantly do not make decision based on your pride and ego or based simply on your insecurity.
- All of us have learned that practice makes perfect. The more we apply these principles to our day-to-day choices we learn to make better and fast decision. Practice the skills that are important in your life so that if you are suddenly faced with a big decision, you do not have to think about it much; your training will just kick in automatically.
- Several scientific studies have shown that a correct gut feeling can hit us before our brains can even rationally process what is going on. So trust your gut. But make sure it is an informed gut.
- Remember, just because something gets hard, it does not mean you made the wrong choice. If a choice was right to begin with, it is usually still right when the going gets tough.
- No matter which road you choose, there are going to be things you are grateful for and things you regret. So fully own the choice you made and move on.
Believe yourself and be Confident (confidence, Personality No 18)
To be successful in any career one needs to project confidence and optimism, and use it to inspire others, despite having normal doubts, worries and stress. Thus, it is important to be confident. Many a times when you focus too much on what you want, our mind creates reasons why you cannot have it. This leads you to dwell on your weaknesses ultimately leading the feelings of lack of confidence. Having high self-confidence means having positive thoughts and building feelings of confidence, worthiness and high regard for yourself. Thus:
- Think positive and start believing in your own strengths. Do away with negative beliefs about your abilities.
- Consider working with a teacher or friend who knows your strengths and has the capacity to “stretch assignment” for you.
- Be straightforward in expressing your strengths, competences, and skill-sets.
- Set aside time each day to mentally list everything you have to be grateful for.
- Recall your past successes, unique skills, loving relationships, and positive momentum.
- Write your achievements each day and build a diary of your successes.
- Make time for building self-improvement every day.
- Refuse to engage in back-stabbing gossip and make an effort to compliment those around you.
- Wear clean clothes and sit in the front row in school.
- Walk fast, putting some pep in your step helps in adding self confidence.
Communicate effectively (communicative, Personality No 22)
We communicate each moment, if most of the time you are not understood by others fully, then probably you need to be an effective communicator. It is important to be an effective communicator to improve relationships at home, school and social situations by deepening your connections with others and improving teamwork, decision-making, and problem-solving. While effective communication is a learned skill, it is more effective when it is spontaneous rather than formulaic. The greater effort and practice you put in more natural and spontaneous your communication will become. Effective communication combines a set of skills including attentive listening, the ability to manage stress and understanding your own emotions and those of the people you are communicating with. Below are
the some steps to follow to become effective communicator.
- Think before you speak to someone.
- Speak clearly and use words that can be easily understood by the person you are speaking to.
mthey’re speaking to. Use a different style of communication with people around you ascompared to friends. Always try to keep the other person’s perspective in mind when you try to get your message across.
- Listen carefully. Successful listening means not just understanding the words or the information being communicated, but also understanding how the speaker feels about what they are communicating.
- Focus fully on speaker. Avoid interrupting; wait for your turn to ask whatever you are concerned about.
- Avoid criticism. Nod and smile occasionally and make sure your posture is inviting and open.
- Positive non-verbal communication contributes to effective communication. Use open body language—arms uncrossed, standing with an open stance or sitting on the edge of your seat etc. Maintain eye contact with the person you are talking to.
- Even if you don’t like the person you are communicating with or their message, stay motivated to understand and consider their view points. Communicate clearly and effectively, even while delivering negative messages.
- Think creatively, solve problems, and resolve conflicts.
Learn how to be more Creative (creativity, Personality No 7)
Creativity is the process of producing original ideas that have importance. Creativity is a critical trait no matter whatever you do. Each one of us have the potential to be creative, but most of the time our fear for rejection, being criticized or failures become a hindrance. We are all naturally creative but some people are more naturally talented than others. However, everyone can increase his or her creativity by focused practice.
- Be willing to generate creative and innovative ideas. Original ideas and
thesolutions to problems may not always come when we want them. You can’t force creativity. When you are calm, try to find solution.
- Try to challenge standard procedures when necessary and prepare action points or solutions.
- Look at things from an altogether different perspective and explore.
- Try to put forth unpopular or unusual ideas even when group support is absent.
- Do not reject any idea that comes to you. Write down, then organize, prioritize or delete later. Try to put original ideas into practice. Stick with it. Work it out.
- Like what you do, creativity will flow.
Overcome your Aggressive behavior (Aggression, Personality No 27)
Each one of us exhibit aggressive behavior at some point or another. And we know that it
is always creates discomfort and we become unproductive. Thus it is essential to learn to respond differently and gradually get rid of this behavior to be more productive and acquire pleasant personality. To do so one needs to follow as suggested below:
- Be sensitive and pay attention to how you respond in certain situations and write down which scenarios seem to drive you to aggressive behavior. It may be a situation when you are trying to avoid conflict, or are scared of being rejected or criticized. It is very natural for you to convey it through sarcasm, gossip, stalling, or quitting etc.
- Observe your language when you are in aggressive mode. When someone is angry, he usually uses some common phrases indicated by Signs like: “Fine.” “Whatever.” “I thought you knew.” “Why are you getting so upset?” If you learn to recognize when your phrasing is aggressive, you can hold yourself and change your tone.
- Asking questions like: Where was I? Who was I with? What were we talking about? or pinpointing the moment you started reacting would make it easier for you to stop yourself getting into aggressive behavior when you are in the same kind of situation. But it is always essential to communicate your disagreement or dissatisfaction honestly. Being direct is less confusing and allows for a stimulating dialogue rather than frustrating disconnections.
- Prioritize yourself. If you begin to treat your desires as valid and experience how good that feels, you will start to believe that you deserve similar treatment from other people.
, and control your Emotions (emotional stability, Personality No 23)
Each one of us have the ability to control our emotions and behavior. Preventing negative reactions to situations is in our hands. Remember if you do not control your emotions, they will control us. Recent researches say
s that those who are most emotionally stable are the ones who actively take their thoughts and put them in a better light. It is advisable to use some effective methods for reducing volatile behavior. Before that you need to ask yourself certain questions like: why you are getting these feelings? What are the positive s aspects about this situation? What are the other ways you can look at these problems? Is your current viewpoint objective? How can you think of this as a challenge rather than a problem? And also try the following to make use of your positive emotions:
- Isolate your stress by knowing where it is coming from.
- Try to generalize your stress, tell yourself there is no problem which does not have a solution and relate to your earlier experience if any and think how you or your friend got the solution.
- Think logically to control negative emotions, if the problem is big, talk to your counsellor or an adult you trust.
- Accept your feelings and realize that 99% of the times, it is no big deal. If it is still not helping, learn and do some breathing exercise.
- You do have a fantastic ability to see, hear, and think what it wants – regardless of how reality really is. It is important to keep in mind whenever you find yourself feeling an emotion, ignore it. You are constructing your reality, so you can change it if you wish.
- Develop social network, talk to people who give
spositive advise. If you are constantly around people who have frequent mood swings or have lot sof negative emotions, you will be better off socializing and try meeting new people.
- Practice tolerance, remember no one can make you angry, but yourself.
- If you are not eating, sleeping and taking care of yourself, there is no way you can take care of your emotion. So eat properly, take good sleep and exercise then only you can control your emotions.
- Be kind to yourself. If you are feeling low, take out time to treat yourself as you do for your friends.
Learn Independence (independent, personality No, 6)
It is for sure that if we rely too much on others for assistance and/or support we will be setting ourselves up for disappointment in the future. This is not to say that we should not take help, but we need to remember that our friends and other adults around us may help us open the doors of opportunity, but it is our own responsibility to take the wheel.
- Many a times sheer determination, hard work and good habits makes you independent. Develop them.
- Determine what it is that you want to accomplish most with your time.
- Try to do things one way-the right way.
- Chart your accomplishments and failures. Take actions on your failures, do not give it up.
- Implement your ideas obstinately and persistently.
- Own your responsibility, which means knowing what you have to do and doing it without anyone telling you to. The sooner you become responsible for consequences, the less dependent you will be to outside sources for discipline or motivation.
- Be firm while dealing with others.
Influence others develop Persuasive trait (persuasive, personality No, 11)
Persuasion is a key part of being able to influence others to achieve your goals and objectives. Highly persuasive people are charismatic, most people like them and they are assertive. It is an important aspect to be successful in life and to meet your professional goals. Each one of us would desire to have an influential personality and adapt a charming personality. Isn’t it? Best thing is that we can develop such traits following these tips:
- Be a natural communicator. Think before you speak and prepare well what to speak if you are speaking to a group.
- Be spontaneous and maintain pleasantness even in difficult situation when in a team or group.
- Be the first one to accept change, for example if something new is introduced say, let’s see what it is, may be good for us. Respond well to the unexpected.
- Try to put a positive spin on any negative factors.
- Show your enthusiasm to do any task when in group, others will gradually follow you.
- Do not be afraid to offer opinions, express ideas well.
- Every one of us fail in many things we do, so do not hesitate to take action because you might fail or others will reject your ideas.
- Before taking up any task convince yourself first. With a clear self-belief, try to talk about it to all kind
sof people, besides your close friends or people having similar interest like you.
- Work well with the group, avoid and negotiate conflict and keep the peace while completing a group task.
- Try to put extra effort to keep things light and use your sense of humor while completing a task.
- Accept people with their strengths and weaknesses. Total acceptance of people is essential to learn how to influence them-the ultimate persuasion.
- Remember, you are more convincing when someone just thanked you for something, always thank people before for their support and then ask for a favor.
Being Practical (practical, Personality No 14)
Individual with this trait always try to operate the real world. They naturally grasp, understand and deal with everyday tasks relevant to their life at ease. This trait is the secret of great leaders and none of the traits of leaders could be exercised well without it. Big problems we face are not puzzling over a choice between right and wrong. The truly difficult decisions are when you face choices among right things that clash. Practical trait combines the willingness to do the right thing with the skill to figure out what is right. It is a combination of using emotion and logic. Being practical means solving real life problems, which is essential to be successful in quite a number of careers. To achieve that:
- Do not react or respond to people. Play out the scenario in your mind again. Analyze the argument and think how you could have reacted better. Next time you talk to a person, take cues from your previous argument. Restructure the conversation.
- Choose your goals and plan your actions which would bring results and achievement of end-objective.
- Observe a lot and observe with compassion not anger.
- When in doubt don’t doubt more. Confirm.
- Respect for reason. Ask questions to yourself and others.
- Control your emotions and take decision.
- Be just always.
Not so easy to learn Extrovert personality (extroversive, Personality No, 4)
Introvert is not shyness or having social anxiety, an introvert genuinely enjoys solitary activities more than social ones, finds social situations exhausting, simply needs time alone. Introversion is a natural way for many people, and there is nothing wrong with it. Introversion and extroversion are just different ways of being. One is not superior to the other. Do not try to respond to situations in a different way. Similarly, do not judge others for how they respond to situations. Recognize your value and contributions as an individual and as an introvert. However, if an introvert person chooses to embrace extroverted traits to get into the careers where extrovert trait is needed one can develop that side too. Pushing yourself a little bit to learn new things and accomplish things you had not thought possibly would offer you an opportunity to develop extrovert trait. Do not push yourself too far, it would create more anxiety. Try to start small.
- Gradually challenge yourself for the task you are most uncomfortable with.
- Since as an introvert you would prefer to plan and think through every detail before taking action, sometimes push yourself to do something spontaneous to get new experiences and adventure.
- When you know that you will be in a group activity or you are leading an activity or a meeting, prepare and organize your thoughts beforehand.
- Challenge yourself to seek out at least one interaction in the next social situation you face. Speak to at least one person at a party.
- If you are not comfortable approaching strangers, start off with that. Say at least ‘hi’ and smile. Prepare a few conversation-starters for the next time you are out. Try open-ended questions that require more than a yes or no answer.
- Choose certain people as your friends and then look for social situations where you might encounter them – or create your own. Invite a few friends to a small get-together at your house. Invite each friend to bring a friend of theirs, preferably one you haven’t met before. Choose places and situations that are comfortable (or just slightly uncomfortable).
- Expand online relationships and socializing into face-to-face socializing.
- Find a group that seems to mesh well with your interests. Start discussing with them on any topic.
- Join a musical group or theater group if possible.
- After you have pushed yourself to a social situation, be sure to give yourself some quiet time to mentally and emotionally recover.
- Introverts may not always express their feelings to others. Tell other people how you are feeling before they ask.
Develop Mental Toughness (tough Minded, Personality No 9)
Mental Toughness is nothing but a collection of enabling factors that promote and maintain adaptation to challenging situations. It is also true that whatever strategies we discuss, no matter what goals we set for ourselves, no matter what vision we have for ourselves and the people around us, none of it can become a reality without mental toughness and perseverance. When things get tough for most people, they find something easier to work on. When things get difficult for mentally tough people, they find a way to stay on schedule. Mental toughness is about building daily habits that allow you to stick to a schedule and overcome challenges and distractions over and over again. Mental toughness is like a muscle. You have to push yourself in thousands of small ways to develop it when things get really difficult. Toughness simply comes down to being more consistent than most people.
- Take a personal responsibility to solve problem independently through a challenging task or situation, the simplest form of gaining mental toughness is very simple, tell yourself “It is my job.”
- When you are in a challenging situation create/look for a supportive environment. Your mental strength is more likely to come from the people around you than it is commitment to any larger cause or purpose.
- Enhance your motivation by focusing on your goal.
- Push yourself to work/study even if you are not motivated.
- Train yourself to be more confident. You need to focus on your strengths, you would gain confidence and inspiration from them. In addition, challenge yourself to develop certain skill you do not have mastery over and avoid melting down in the face of failure which would enhance your self confidence.
- Our culture is filled with rewards and awards. One gets these just by being in the team. To gain mental toughness you need to feel proud of yourself and your accomplishments rather than expecting a certification for it.
- Always remain energetic and ready to give your best performance.
Adapt good Judgement trait: (judgment, Personality No26)
Judgmental trait is the ability to see the possible value or meaning in your point of view with empathy. People who have this trait can easily take on an alternate position and view things from another’s vantage point, and take on the perceptions and feelings that a person in that alternate position would have. It is a little complex process to make good judgment but it is essential to do well in many careers and attaining personal goals. While making decisions to make good judgment you need not be overly critical and should avoid judgments which have harmful or negative consequences. Practice the following to acquire the trait:
- While evaluating others actions, it is crucial that you understand where they are coming from, their perspective, history and the experiences that lead to the current situation.
avalue-frames absolute. For example if you feel taking bribe is wrong, what value-frame are you enacting? What if that person does not get their values from the same place? It may not be their fault, may be the situation demands it.
- While making judgment keep in mind the direct and potential impact of your judgment.
- Experts believe that when judging others, we tend to over-attribute acts to people’s personalities rather than to the variables in a specific situation. For example, if someone breaks the queue, we feel that the person is insensitive or overbearing. But it is essential to ask or think if she is in a hurry and need to do it just this once.
- Here you have to remember the great saying, “judge the sin, not the sinner”. You have to separate the problematic act from the person.
- Be open to change your evaluations. Do not give opinion if you do not have enough knowledge or information.
- Think unbiased, listen carefully, ask questions, reflect then give judgments.
Learn Authoritative trait and develop leadership skills (Authoritative, Personality No 20)
An authoritative person is detail oriented and gets motivated by doing things one way-the right way. They seems to be very conscientious and cooperative, follow rules, procedures and policies carefully. They tend to have high self-confidence and are risk-takers and problem-solvers, which enables others to look up to them for decisions and direction. You must be having some of these not all of these. Follow these tips to learn best:
- Be a team member but try to rise above the group during crisis moments.
- While working in a group provide direction and leadership, push groups toward decision-making.
- Always try to maintain focus on the goal, and push yourself for tangible results.
- Think positive and have confidence in your own self and your abilities.
- Manage your stress and maintain your focus at the time of work load.
- Take new challenges and risks without fear.
- Once you are convinced about certain thing stick to it.
Develop your Inquisitiveness Trait (Inquisitive, Personality No 28)
It is always easy to accept things the way they are. At the same time it is equally difficult to rock the boat. This is not a trait of people who write their success. To be effective, you need to look beyond the superficial and peek underneath established practices. Ask numerous questions and try to reach solution before you decide your final course of action. By asking the right question, you will be able to understand the issues. Curiosity is an important trait of any successful person. It makes your mind active, observant of new ideas and opens up new paths and possibilities. It brings innovations and helps you to reach the success ladder quickly. Now, knowing the importance of curiosity, you must try following tips to develop it:
- Be open to learn, unlearn, and relearn.
- Sometimes you might be wrong, it is essential to accept this possibility and change your mind.
- Do not take things for granted. Try to dig deeper beneath the surface of what is around you.
- Ask questions: What is that? Why is it made that way? When was it made? Who invented it? Where does it come from? How does it work? What, why, when, who, where, and how are must for curious individuals.
- Be motivated to see exciting things where others find it boring. If you see learning as a burden, there is no way you will want to dig deeper into anything. Take learning as something fun, you will naturally want to dig deeper.
- Don’t spend too much time on just one world , look for newer possibilities
Practice tolerance (tolerance, Personality No 19)
All of us are different, thus we react and respond to a situation differently. After all, these differences make the world go round. Having the ability to accept people for who they are and not expect them to be who we want them to be makes us a more tolerant person. Have you observed that some individuals do not get angry quickly rather no one can make them angry? These are tolerant people. Being tolerant is a great personality trait which pays in the long run to lead a harmonious life and bring success in many careers where we have to perform under pressure and in odd environment. There are an infinite number of things that make most of us angry – it can vary from a person who stands a little too close to us in line to a person screaming in the street. We all have our intolerant moments where we feel someone else is wrong or that we are being wronged. But to become a tolerant person you have make others feel comfortable with you and treat them as special individuals. The following tips would help you most to develop this personality trait:
- You determine your feelings, not anyone else. Just because someone overpowers you does not mean they made you feel a certain way. So the next time someone makes you angry, take a step back. The more tolerant you are, the more stable you will become.
- In odd moments instead of getting heated up, take a breath, do not have an argument, do not make the obvious insult. Think it out and stay in your zone.
- Develop the courage to say no when somebody crosses the limit you have decided for yourself.
- Be respectful for others opinion. Listen other persons point of view carefully, even if you have a different understanding and opinion.
Be a collaborator and grab the success (Cooperation) (cooperative, Personality No 16)
Individuals with this prototype usually have a talent for human relations and are a master of harmony. This trait
s allows you to get along with others and have little or no conflict. Collaborator are so sensitive, they can feel the emotion s in the room as soon as they enter. This characteristic allows you to use your influence to get what you want.
- Drive to succeed, even if your personal interest is not getting fulfilled.
- Do not get disheartened feeling concerned for others, focus on your success. You really cannot influence everything in life.
- Develop interest to be around people and enjoy it.
- Pitching new ideas is good, but to be a group person follow the prescribed rules and guidelines.
- Listen to people and their ideas carefully. Ask and clarify if you cannot understand anything well.
- Put your point of view politely to the group and convince them with reasons and logic.
- Try to work in a structured environment where people are an element of success.
- Appreciate and encourage people around you and your focus should be to get the work done.
- Give up your ego.
- Genuinely try to help with the details and extend support for team goals.
- Listen carefully to what is being said and what is left unsaid – what is said through words and what is said between those words. All that is said through body-language and tone of the person.
- When team achieves great feats, it is easy for a leader to fall into a temptation to take credits when they should be generously sharing them. Recognize everyone’s performance, remain thankful of others contributions and let the team be proud about themselves.
- Relationships are important, but not at the cost of progress. Focus on your goal.
Be relaxed and achieve most (relaxed, Personality No 15)
Relaxed people remain calm and composed most of the times. They believe in taking their time to stop and enjoy what they have instead of running the mad rat race. They take time to think and contemplate before acting. Relaxation, enjoyment and fun come very naturally to them. Try the following; probably you will develop this trait.
- Support others and consider their positive points while working in a group.
- Be rational while doing work or taking decision.
- Use common sense and try to see a simpler or more practical way to accomplish a goal.
- Try to do many tasks at a time and choose to work at a slow and steady pace until something is complete.
- Approach other team members with patience and give proper attention.
- Try to be even-tempered. Try to be the peace-makers and nurturers in groups.
- In case you wish to voice your feedback, wait for a positive environment for dialogue.
Develop Honesty and Integrity (honesty And Integrity, Personality No 5)
Honesty and Integrity carries a lot of weight in any career you wish to take up. Honesty matters for great learning as self-deception hinder progress. Great learners don’t say “I’m brilliant at science” but, “I am good on photosynthesis, but not sure if I have nailed atomic structure yet
.“. This needs to be your believe system. Honesty allows us to build good links with others, which help you to grow in career as well as in life. It grows confidence, attracts goodwill, and gives you an infallible compass to lead life. Honesty is a highly valued trait in a business world. If it is not reflecting in you just now, you can develop it putting little effort this way:
- Avoid doing what feels good in the moment without necessarily thinking of the consequences.
- While doing things give your 100% to complete the task on time.
- Do not try to blame others when you are at fault.
- Remain sincere in any relationship you develop.
- Do not hide your fear, choose somebody to speak and find a solution.
- Maintain discipline in whatever you work, you will achieve honesty.
Being Perfectionist (perfectionist Personality No, 24)
A perfectionist is someone who holds the underlying belief that perfection can be attained and it is the most important trait. This trait assumes significance in quite a few careers where attention to minutest of the detail is important. One can develop this trait of being a perfectionist by implementing following suggestions:
- Always set the highest standards for yourself and never expect anything less.
- Be conscious and critical of mistakes.
- Review thoroughly whatever you plan or write.
- Develop a sharp eye toward details. Attention to details is a temperament that can be developed through practice. Practice…practice and practice to perfect something.
- Avoid distraction.
- Aim to be the best in everything you do, even if it is something that you are not interested in.
- Set absolute ideals. There is only black and white, no grey. Beat yourself up over the smallest thing that went wrong.
- Always analyze the outcome of whatever you do.
- Only have the end goal in mind. If you don’t achieve the goal, it really does not matter what happens in the process.
Being Kind and Considerate (kind, personality No 8)
“Be [kind], for every man is fighting a hard battle.” – Rev. John Watson.
Kind and Considerate is simply being nice. It is an attitude of benevolence, thoughtfulness and relating to other individuals. It is not always possible to get right, but keep a “good” voice going in your head would encourage you to go on and cope up well. You can put a little effort towards being more considerate and to be a nice person and achieve success effortlessly. Most importantly you need to develop a sense of empathy and put it into action. This will help you understand people better and you can manage them well. Your sense of compassion for others will drive
s you to connect, and derive personal joy and satisfaction from this selfless exchange. Thus:
- Next time you want to achieve something, first think about how you can do a favour to get one in return.
- Make an effort to smile it has positive impact on others around you.
- No one will ever understand the perspective of another unless they take that person’s hand and consider things how they see it. This is called empathy. Be empathetic.
- Practice empathy – think before speaking, think about the situation and emotional impact on the person you are speaking to.
- Practice is very important. The sweet spot is to know when to be considerate of others and when to be considerate of yourself.
- As you channel your sense of empathy and consider how others around you are feeling, choose to act on that information.
- Develop the sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.
- Being considerate means apologizing when you make a mistake and apologizing when you think you have made a mistake.
Managing Monotonous task (monotonous, personality no 13)
What many of us in our work could be coping with is actually not the challenges of work but the boredom at work. Many of the careers might not offer new tasks every day, but offer the very basic task constantly. You could be doing the same thing again and again every day. At first glance, being monotonous could be an easy task but when you have been doing the same task every day, you will find the task to be a little bit harder to do. As a fresher you would usually start at the bottom to advance in your career which means you need do the very basic of tasks constantly. You have no scope to escape, you need to develop the ability to accomplish repetitive, may be boring and tedious work or task which would ensure success. It applies to students also to do well in academics. Not to worry, focus on the following suggestions to learn the trait:
- A good way to cope with monotony is to plan and discipline yourself in completing any task that you are taking upon, do not leave the task mid-way.
- Look at the end result and be aware of how it will affect your success if you do not do them. Think of yourself as a part of a machine that has to function or else the entire engine will not be working at all.
- Recognize your ability to do an important task.
- Seek the meaning of what you are doing right now. If you cannot find it in your work, there should be great impact in your life.
- The best thing about being monotonous is that you know your task so well that you do not even have to really think about it. Focus on other tasks and try to study more.
- Instead of being bored try to improve your other skills.
- If you want to break the monotony, you should also consider additional tasks. As a student you can pick an extra-curricular activity.
- A lot of things can happen if you just seek ways to get out of monotony and the good news is, it is all for your advantage.